This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The current wave of global changes and challenges in all areas of human existence and co-existence has concurrently necessitated the need, for deliberate preservation of world cultural and natural heritage. The Jukun people among other African tribes are vulnerable to various social, political, economic and natural threats capable of endangering the continuity of their cultural and natural heritage. The author’s ongoing ethnomusicological study of the composition and performance of music among the Wukari Jukun people of the southern Taraba state, Nigeria has revealed the roles of music in preserving these heritages. Employing the qualitative study approach, the study explored both oral and written works of literature on the posterity of the indigenous values, philosophy and natural endowments of the Jukun people over the decades.
Keywords:Jukun people Global changes and civilization Cultural and natural heritage Music composition and performance Safeguarding
- Ekpo, O.E., Onyeji, C.U., 2020. Documenting Distinctive Features of ‘Keku’ Dance Ensemble of the Jukun Nation of the Sub-Saharan Africa. Cogent Arts & Humanities. 7(1). DOI: http://doi.org/10.1080/23311983.2020.1809803.
- Anifowose, R., 1982. Violence and politics in Nigeria: the Tiv and Yoruba experience. New York: Nok Publishers International.
- Egwu, S.G., 1998. Structural Adjustment, Agrarian Change and Rural Ethnicity in Nigeria. Uppsala: Nordic Africa Institute.
- Nnoli, O., 1995. Ethnicity and Development in Nigeria. Aldershot: Avebury.
- Nwanegbo, C.J., Odigbo, J., Ngara, O., 2014. Citizenship, Indigeneship and Settlership Crisis in Nigeria: Understanding the Dynamics of Wukari Crisis. Journal Research in Peace, Gender and Development. 4(1), 8-14.
- Seeger, A., 1996. Traditional Music in Community Life: Aspects of Performance, Recordings, and Preservation. Cultural Survival Quarterly Magazine.
- Leon, P., 1995. Cultural Heritage and the 1972 Convention: Definition and Evolution of African Con-cept. First Global Strategy meeting African cultural heritage and the world Heritage Convention. Ed.(s) Dawson Mijrueri, Webber Ndoro, Catherine Sisanda, Galla Saouma-Forero, Laurent Levi- Strauss, and Lupwishi Mbijyamba.
- Nilson, T., Thorell, K., 2018. Cultural Heritage Preservation: The Past, the Present and the Future, Tomas Nilson & Kristina Thorell (Ed.(s) Författarna och Halmstad University Press, Halmstad University Press Box 823, 301 18 Halmstad.
- Le Berre, M., Messan, L., 1995. Cultural Heritage and the 1972 Convention: From Nature to the Spirits in African Heritages. First Global Strategy meeting African cultural heritage and the world Heritage Convention. Ed.(s)Dawson Mijrueri, Webber Ndoro, Catherine Sisanda, Galla Saouma-Forero, Laurent Levi-Strauss, and Lupwishi Mbijyamba.
- Munjeri, D., 1995. Cultural Heritage and the 1972 Convention: Religious and Spiritual Heritage. First Global Strategy meeting African cultural heritage and the world Heritage Convention. Ed, (s)Dawson Mijrueri, Webber Ndoro, Catherine Sisanda, Galla Saoum Forero, Laurent Levi-Strauss, and Lupwishi Mbijyamba. pp.69-86.
- Nlyonkuru, L., 1995. Cultural Heritage and the 1972 Convention: Royal and Funeral Trees in Burundi. First Global Strategy meeting African cultural heritage and the world Heritage Convention. Ed.(s) Dawson Mijrueri, Webber Ndoro, Catherine Sisanda, Galla Saouma- Forero, Laurent Levi-Strauss, and Lupwishi Mbijyamba.
- Wang, Y., 2014. A Study on Measures of Preservation of Cultural Heritage of Chinese Folk Music. International Conference on Education, Language, Art and Intercultural Communication (ICELAIC).
- Scott, M.J., Sands, R.D., Rosenberg, N.J., et al., 2002. Future N2O from US Agriculture: Projecting Effects of Changing Land Use, Agricultural Technology and Climate on CO2 emissions. Glob. Environ. Chang. pp.105-115.
- Aremu, M.O., Oko, O.J., Andrew, C., 2017. Ground Water and River Quality Assessment for Some Heavy Metals and Physicochemical Parameters in Wukari Town, Taraba State, Nigeria. International Journal of Sciences. 6(5).
- Dasgupta, S., Meisner, C., Wheeler, D., et al., 2007. Pesticide Poisoning of farm workers- implications of blood test result from Vietnam. International Journal of Hygiene Environment Health. 2(10), 121-132.
- Atafar, Z., Mesdaghinia, A., Nouri, J., et al., 2010. Effect of fertilizer application on soil heavy metalconcentration. Environment Monit Assess. 160(1-4), 83-89.
- Bhandari, G., 2014. An Overview of Agrochemicals and Their Effects on Environment in Nepal. Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences. 2(2), 66-73.
- Chandini Randeep, K., Ravendra, K., Om, P., 2019. The Impact of Chemical Fertilizers on our Environment and Ecosystem. Research Trends in Environmental Sciences, Second Edition, Chapter 5, India. pp.69-86.
- Dubey, R.K., 2013. Organic farming beneficial to biodiversity conservation, rural livelihood and nutritional security. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 3, 18-21.
- Nayana, S., Ritu, S., 2017. Effects of Chemical Fertilizers and Pesticides on Human Health and Environment: A Review. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology Citation: IJAEB. New Delhi Publishers, India. 10(6), 675-679. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5958/2230732X.2017.00083.3
- Wimalawansa, S.A., Wimalawansa, S.J., 2014. Impact of changing agricultural practices on human health: chronic kidney disease of multi-factorial origin in Sri Lanka. Wudpecker Journal of Agricultural Research. 3, 110-124.
- Yargholi, B., Azarneshan, S., 2014. Long-term effects of pesticides and chemical fertilizers usage on some soil properties and accumulation of heavy metals in the soil (case study of Moghan plain’s (Iran) irrigation and drainage network). International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences. 7(8), 518-523.
- Steenland, K., Zhao, L., Winquist, A., et al., 2013. Ulcerative Colitis and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) in a Highly Exposed Population of Community Residents and Workers in the Mid-Ohio Valley. Environmental Health Perspectives. 121(8), 900-905.
- Youssef, R.A., Chino, M., 1991. Movement of metals from soil to plant roots. Water, Air and Soil Pollution. 57-58, 249-258.
- Oludare, O., 2014. Compositional Techniques in Apala Music”. Nigerian Theatre Journal, A. Akoh. (Ed.). 14(1), 86-107.
- Mac-Leva, F., 2009. How Giant Crocodiles Guided Jukun to Kwararafa. Daily Trust. Retrieved 2021- 10- 07.
- Atando, D.A., Shishi, Z., Agbu, R.S., 2020. An Investigative Study Into The Causes and Effects of Ethnoreligious Conflicts on women and Children in Wukari and Ibi Local Government Areas of Taraba State, Nigeria, 1991 - 2020. International Journal of Sociology and Anthropology Research. Published byECRTD-UK. 6(3), 121-140.
- Zhema, S., Agbu, A.D., 2015. The Jukun of the Benue Valley; Interrogating the Nexus Between Inter-Group History and Conflicts, 2013-2014 in Ukaogo, V. (ed.,) United in Differences, Disunited in Agreement: Analysis of People, Traditions, Culture and Endless Conflicts Amongst the Jukun of Central Nigeria. Abuja: Academic Press Ltd.
- Deacon, J., 1995. Cultural Heritage and the 1972 Convention: Archaeological Heritage in Southern Africa. First Global Strategy meeting African cultural heritage and the world Heritage Convention. Ed.(s) Dawson Mijrueri, Webber Ndoro, Catherine Sisanda, Galla Saouma-Forero, Laurent Levi-Strauss, and Lupwishi Mbijyamba.